KISS 1975

Have you heard any news or other interesting things about Kiss? Don't keep it for yourself, share them with everybody else! Of course you can also discuss any Kiss-related topic here with others as well.

Moderators: Partyman, speedy64, Demon, derFAN

zcmi
Denmark

KISS 1975

Post by zcmi »

In January KISS, who are receiving numerous big offers from other record labels, have a meeting at Kenny Kerner's apartment with Kenny, Richie, Bill, Joyce, and the band where they discuss leaving Casablanca following the end of their contract. Immediately after this meeting its' contents are leaked to Bogart who promptly fires Kerner and Wise, and decides to produce their third album himself.

In January Circus magazine includes a poster of the band in their issue.

January 3, 1975
The HOTTER THAN HELL album is at #114 in the US Billboard chart.

January 7, 1975
KISS plays ENMAX Centre in Lethbridge, Alberta.

January 9, 1975
KISS plays 2 shows at Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver, British Columbia.

January 10, 1975
KISS plays Paramount Theater in Portland, Oregon.

Let Me Go, Rock ‘n Roll (Casablanca NB 823) is released as a 7” single in the US.

The HOTTER THAN HELL album is at #120 in the US Billboard chart.

January 11, 1975
KISS plays Medford Armory in Medford, Oregon.

January 12, 1975
KISS plays Paramount Theatre in Seattle, Washington.

January 16, 1975
Photo session on top of building not far away from the Playboy Mansion in California, the photographer is Richard Creamer (this was long believed to be from August 16, 1974).

The first known mention of the SS/Nazi controversy surrounding the KISS logo appeared in the Vancouver, Canada magazine Georgia Straight. An unaccredited writer observed: "Embarrassed as I am to admit it, my colleague from this same periodical ventured the almost ludicrous proposition that the final two letters of the band's KISS logo held some innate but dark significance, in that the final two "S's" resembled uncannily the double "S" of the Schutz-Staffel of Hitler's Germany. Needless to say, this was greeted by eight pointed fingers of derisive scorn and embarrassingly frank ridicule." Various religious zealots and other extreme conservatives would bring up the issue over the years to come (KISS did nothing to tone this down until the late 70s).

January 17, 1975
KISS plays Long Beach Arena in Long Beach, California. Camel opened the show, KISS played the middle-slot, and Wishbone Ash was the headliner. One review noted: "Kiss explodes with sound. Too bad it's not worth picking up the pieces." (Long Beach Independent, January 21, 1975)

The HOTTER THAN HELL album is at #122 in the US Billboard chart.

The 7”-single, Nothin' To Lose / Love Theme From KISS (Casablanca/EMI CBX-503, no picture sleeve) is released as the first ever UK KISS issue.

January 18, 1975
KISS opens for ZZ Top at the Swing Auditorium in San Bernardino, California.

January 19, 1975
KISS plays the Golden Hall at the Convention & Performing Arts Center in San Diego, California. The local fire Marshall prohibited Gene's fire breathing act during this show.

January 21, 1975
KISS is forced to cancel their performance at the Regis College Fieldhouse in Denver, Colorado, due to Paul having trouble with his throat.

January 23, 1975
KISS is forced to cancel a second show at Terrace Ballroom in Salt Lake City, Utah, due to Paul's throat troubles.

January 24, 1975
The HOTTER THAN HELL album is at #118 in the US Billboard chart.

January 26, 1975
KISS plays Selland Arena in Fresno, California.

January 30, 1975
Rolling Stone-magazine reviews the HOTTER THAN HELL album: “Looking like a bunch of Walt Disney rejects, KISS is the kind of band you love to hate. Drenched in garish makeup, clothed in outfits Alice Cooper wouldn't touch and generally exuding obnoxiousness, this brash young New Yawk foursome seems determined to visually divert their audience's attention from their special brand of kamikaze rock. A slick brand of music that, as found on their second LP, HOTTER THAN HELL, does not sound as bad as the band looks. With twin guitars hammering out catchy mondo-distorto riffs and bass and drums amiably bringing up the rear, KISS spews forth a deceptively controlled type of thunderous hysteria closely akin to the sound once popularized by the German panzer tank division. HOTTER THAN HELL cooks from start to finish with the boys in the band sounding tighter and more lethal than in the past. This time around, KISS even manages to make allowances in their riff-rock antics for the inclusion of hummable vocal lines in both the blitzkrieg rockers (Got to Choose, Strange Ways) and John Philip Sousa ballads (Goin' Blind). The lyrics, however, aren't going to make Dylan worry; with such bon mots as "I'm 93, you're 16" * being dropped regularly. Despite its flaws, KISS does succeed in churning out quite a bit of high-energy instrumentation and cheerful, nonsensical vocalizing. Goin' Blind is by Simmons and Coronel.” (Ed Naha in Rolling Stone magazine issue #179)

January 31, 1975
KISS plays Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco, California.

Opening act is Ely/Third Rail. This headliner show was filmed in black & white and released on the KISSOLOGY Vol. 1 DVD. The black & white video footage of Deuce that appears on KISS EXPOSED is from this night.

The HOTTER THAN HELL album is at #112 in the US Billboard chart.

In February due to the lack of success with HOTTER THAN HELL, KISS re-enter studios, this time Electric Lady Studios in New York, to record their 3rd album with Neil Bogart, who is using his role in an attempt to usurp Bill Aucoin's position with the band. However, Bill soon buys out co-manager Joyce Biawitz (who was Neil's girlfriend) share in Rock Steady, finally forcing his and Neil's cooperation.

In February LP KISS (Casablanca/EMI CBC-4003), the first issue, with Kissin' Time is released in the UK.

In February Creem-magazine mentions the band in their issue.

February 1, 1975
KISS plays Civic Auditorium in Santa Monica, California.

February 5, 1975
Hosted at the Continental Hyatt House Paul drew a chorus that says "I want to rock and roll all night and party every day." Gene joined the verses with those of Paul and the song Rock And Roll All Nite was born.

February 7, 1975
The HOTTER THAN HELL album is at #110 in the US Billboard chart.

February 8, 1975
KISS returning to New York with Neil Bogart who stands as a producer. They are entering the Electric Lady, where the cradle rock roots and essence of the group to generate the necessary inspiration and that they had no new compositions. In a span of two weeks invent material as Two Timer, C'mon And Love Me, Room Service and Getaway, but should fall back to old songs like Love Her All I Can and She from Wicked Lester to complete rows.

Paul Stanley: “On DRESSED TO KILL Ace was playing out of a cardboard box. He had this amp that he made that was in a cardboard box.” (p.233, KISS behind the Mask) Bill Aucoin: “Neil Bogart produced DRESSED TO KILL because we couldn't afford a producer. It was a way to cut costs.”

February 14, 1975
The HOTTER THAN HELL album is at #107 in the US Billboard.

February 15, 1975
The current issues of Melody Maker, Billboard, and Performance magazines all feature articles about KISS.

February 20, 1975
KISS plays Kiel Auditorium in St. Louis, Missouri.

February 21, 1975
KISS plays Aragon Ballroom in Chicago, Illinois.

The HOTTER THAN HELL album is at #156 in the US Billboard chart. After 15 weeks on this chart it has its last charting today.

February 22, 1975
KISS plays Omni 41 in Schererville, Indiana.

Cashbox reports on KISS in their current issue.

February 25, 1975
Last day of the recording, photo sessions are conducted for the cover art inspired by a cartoon of Creem magazine. The infamous front cover photo of the band was taken by well-known photographer Bob Gruen. He says: “…Creem-magazine asked me to make a photo story of them which led to the photo used in the DRESSED TO KILL album… We were taking the photos for Creem and the first part, had them wearing suits in a subway station. It was my idea to take the picture of them on the streets as well… There are lots of other photos from that day…”

February 28, 1975
KISS has an article in a gay-magazine called Mandate. Paul: "Bill Aucoin arranged interviews, and we thought it never was going to be published. It was advertising, not the mind." Then Rock Scene magazine published KISS on their cover (they’d have a close friendship with Lisa Robinson, the magazine’s publisher, during the later-70s).

In March DRESSED TO KILL press kit featured black & white pictures and bio. DRESSED TO KILL promo display and promo-poster were also produced with a LP divider, which was a cardboard sheet used to divide and highlight the then 4 albums KISS had released.

In March HOTTER THAN HELL (1C 062-96 262 EMI Electrola) is released as the first KISS album in Germany (with original KISS-logo).

March 6, 1975
“KISS: Die Neue ‘Høllische’ Rock-Band,” is the first article on the band by German music-magazine Bravo.

March 13, 1975
Circus magazine #102 mentions the band. German Bravo #12 has a 1 page article, “KISS: Vier Alice-Cooper-Typen,” and also an A1 poster, KISS live '75, included.

March 19, 1975
KISS plays 2 shows at The Roxy in North Hampton, Pennsylvania.

The DRESSED TO KILL album (Casablanca NBLP 7016) is released in the US.

March 20, 1975
Photo-sessions in New York with KISS in colourful street clothes by Christopher Makos are done. A lot of pictures from different photographer from this day and the next two days exist.

March 21, 1975
KISS plays 2 shows at Beacon Theater in New York City, New York. This is a homecoming of sorts. KISS plays two sets with Jo Jo Gunne opening, and it's not clear which set the audience recording came from. It is generally poor audio recording. With only one song from the new album (C'mon And Love Me), this show is really more of a HOTTER THAN HELL era gig.

This show was the first time that Fin Costello photographed the band. Chip Rock also takes pictures of KISS during the show; this is the beginning of a long working relationship with the group. This was revealed to be mislabelled footage of Waterbury '75.

Maybe over 1,000 photos were taken of KISS earlier on this one day. The waterfall, tunnel, cave, pipes, wall, mannequins, USA cut-out, pedestal, red background (a Sal DiBenedetto photo session), and white background photo session were all taken this day.

At the Beacon Theatre in New York there was a staged photo shoot before the actual concert later that night. Len DeLessio is the photographer and he claims to be the only photographer for this session. That means he was the first to photograph KISS for an "in concert" photo session, less than 2 months before Fin Costello would do it for the cover of ALIVE!

Fin Costello: “I went to live in USA in 1973 with Deep Purple, who I was an art director and photographer for, and a graphic designer I knew was working on an album cover for KISS, called DRESSED TO KILL. He was very unhappy with it, because the picture was funny but not right. He told me to come and see them play, because they were playing at the Beacon Theatre in New York. That day I had been working with the Brecker Brothers, which is a jazz thing. So I went up there, with my camera and everything. And it was like Dante’s Inferno. As I walked in, I realized I had never seen nothing like it in my life. And this was just the first song.”

Part of a local review: "The whole audience was standing on the seats for the last 45 minutes, an event even in these days of rock emotionalism... It may be overly simple and unpretentious rock, not, so much sung as shouted, but KISS communicates a sense of fun and commitment to the music" (Ian Dove - New York Times, March 24, 1975)

March 22, 1975
Fin Costello continues: “By this time, they were completely broke. They had no money. I stayed in New York that night, processed the film in an overnight lab, and rang their manager Bill Aucoin in the morning. I told him who I was, mentioned some of my work, like Deep Purple’s MADE IN JAPAN, and said that I’d like to him show the pictures I took at the show the night before. He said: ‘Sure’. So I went up there… Joyce Biawitz (co-manager) and Bill Aucoin had desks standing against each other. Well, I showed them the photos, and I was smart enough to bring with me a projector from the graphic design place. I asked Aucoin where the projection room was, and he just laughed. Lovely man by the way. He just laughed and said ‘project them against the wall’. I got about 4 pictures projected, and then he said: ‘Don’t show me any more’. Then he rang Gene (Simmons) and said: ‘Come on down here, I want you to meet this guy’.”

Costello: “So the four of them came down to Aucoin’s office. Ace arrived late and didn’t know what he was there for. But Paul and Gene were very sharp, Gene in particularly. The minute he saw how I’d captured the show, he said: ‘Right, we’re doing a live album. It’s a last chance-thing. If it works, we’re in business. If it doesn’t work, we’re dead’…”

KISS does an outdoor shoot in New York (David Tan is among the photographers of the day...).

March 24, 1975
The KISS show in Cleveland, Ohio, recorded for use on possible live album???

March 27, 1975
KISS plays Ice Arena in Kenosha, Wisconsin, with the warm up acts being Rush and Thin Lizzy.

March 28, 1975
KISS plays Toledo Sports Arena in Toledo, Ohio.

In April Swedish Poster magazine "made" KISS a household name for kids in Scandinavia in the 70's. The first number that had KISS content was #3-75. It included a poster from the LA "roof photo shoot" and an article called "Nighmare Pop from the USA."

Even Finnish Soundi-magazine mentions the band by this time.

April 1, 1975
KISS film live segments for Burt Sugarman's Midnight Special at NBC Studios in Burbank, CA. KISS plays Deuce, She, and Black Diamond live complete with Ace's guitar solo. At the end of Black Diamond, Peter destroys his drum set and throws it off of the riser after it has been lifted 10 feet in the air. The black kit Peter used was just for this gig as he trashed it at the end of Black Diamond as well. They also played C'mon And Love Me but it was never broadcast.

This appearance was one of the few promotional attempts to keep the band alive during the DRESSED TO KILL period. She and Deuce were broadcast when the show aired on July 11 (show #124). Black Diamond, with a repeat of Deuce, was broadcast on November 28 (show #141).

The video of Black Diamond is included in stunning colour on the BURT SUGARMAN'S THE MIDNIGHT SPECIAL LEGENDARY PERFORMANCES - 1975 DVD. On the KISSOLOGY Vol. 1 DVD the video is in black & white though She is in colour.

April 2, 1975
Rock And Roll All Nite, (Casablanca NB 829) the first single off the DRESSED TO KILL album is released in the US.

April 4, 1975
KISS plays Nordic Arena in Hartland, Michigan. Bill Aucoin is financing this tour with his American Express credit card while managing KISS.

April 5, 1975
KISS cancels a show at Auditorium in Williamsport, Pennsylvania.

Billboard magazine prints a review of DRESSED TO KILL in their current issue.

April 6, 1975
KISS plays Lisner Auditorium in Washington D.C.

April 8, 1975
KISS plays Civic Theater in Akron, Ohio.

April 9, 1975
KISS plays Erie County Fieldhouse in Erie, Pennsylvania.

April 11, 1975
KISS plays Palace Theater in Dayton, Ohio. The opening act is Heavy Metal Kids. According to Classics Rock the Heavy Metal Kids was thrown off the tour for bad behaviour (someone laughed at Gene while he was performing).

April 12, 1975
KISS plays I.S.U. Union Auditorium in Normal, Illinois.

The DRESSED TO KILL album debuts at #159 in the US Billboard chart.

April 13, 1975
KISS plays Memorial Hall in Kansas City, Missouri.

April 15, 1975
KISS plays Stanley Theatre in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, with Rush.

April 17, 1975
KISS plays Burlington Auditorium in Burlington, Iowa.

April 19, 1975
KISS plays Fremd High School in Palatine, Illinois, with Rush. Backstage is an interview with Paul and Gene before the concert. Only the first half of the show was archived, though the taper also recorded the opening band's set (Rush) and the stage banter during the equipment change over. In italics is the possible rest of the set. In a circulating recorded conversation Paul suggests that Room Service was going to be performed, and the band practiced it at the show's sound-check, as well as doing a bit of a jam... It is generally poor, heavy on bass, and probably in need of a new transfer from the master.

The DRESSED TO KILL album is reviewed in the current issue of Billboard magazine.

The DRESSED TO KILL album is at #182 in the US Billboard chart.

April 21, 1975
KISS plays Memorial Auditorium in Louisville, Kentucky.

Record Rap magazine features an article about KISS in their current issue.

April 22, 1975
KISS plays Convention Center in Indianapolis, Indiana. Bill Starkey (founder of the KISS Army) attends this concert.

April 24, 1975
KISS plays Freedom Hall Civic Center in Johnson City, Tennessee.

April 25, 1975
KISS plays Park Center in Charlotte, North Carolina. Rush is the opening act at this show.

April 26, 1975
KISS plays Cumberland Auditorium in Fayetteville, North Carolina.

The DRESSED TO KILL album is at #138 in the US Billboard chart.

April 27, 1975
KISS plays Mosque Theatre in Richmond, Virginia.

April 28, 1975
German Freizeit magazine #18 has a 2-page article, “KISS: Mehr Show Als Musik?“ included.

April 29, 1975
KISS plays Metro Theater in Lansing, Michigan.

April 30, 1975
KISS plays Veterans Memorial Auditorium in Columbus, Ohio.

May 3, 1975
KISS plays Tower Theater in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Opening act is Ted Nugent. At the request of some fans the band includes one-time item Room Service. This show cuts off during Peter's solo. It's likely missing Black Diamond and Let Me Go, Rock 'N' Roll. While there's a fair bit of background hiss on the recording the bass levels are reasonable and Paul's raps are clear.

The next day the local newspaper The Evening Bulletin makes KISS front-page news.

May 4, 1975
The DRESSED TO KILL album is at #98 in the US Billboard chart.

May 6, 1975
KISS plays Riverside Theatre in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. 8mm film does exist of this.

May 7, 1975
German Pop #9 has a 1¾-page article, “KISS: Alice Coopers Verkommene Søhne”, included.

May 8, 1975
KISS plays Louis University in Lockport, Illinois.

May 9, 1975
KISS plays Northern Ohio University in Ada, Ohio.

May 10, 1975
KISS plays Capital Center in Largo, Maryland.

May 11, 1975
KISS plays Orpheum Theater in Boston, Massachusetts. The first audience recording to include the band's signature tune, and the last show before the band started performing with their new ALIVE! costumes, stage show and set. It is not a very good sound quality. Some cool live pictures by Ron Pownall exist from this show.

The DRESSED TO KILL album is at #87 in the US Billboard chart.

May 12-15, 1975
Pictures of the band are taken by Fin Costello in Detroit, Michigan, different photo sessions, live and studio (backstage) taken over several days.

May 14, 1975
KISS is at Michigan Palace in Detroit, Michigan, concert highlights/mugging for camera, video exists.

May 15, 1975
KISS is in Detroit, Michigan, doing promo videos. This afternoon, the band films two music videos, C'Mon And Love Me, and Rock And Roll All Nite at the Michigan Palace.

In May Swedish Poster #4 has a 2-page KISS article + a poster of the band included.

May 16, 1975
KISS is at Cobo Hall in Detroit, Michigan doing backstage/concert film (they do a photo shoot for the ALIVE! album cover) then a few hours later, the band is performing. Today is the first time that the group wore their DRESSED TO KILL costumes.

At 11:30pm there is an after show party held at the Cobo Hall Ballroom.

May 17, 1975
KISS plays War Memorial Coliseum in Johnstown, Pennsylvania. Rush is the opening act. Jaan Uhelszki, a reporter for Creem magazine, is dressed as the character on the back-side of the HOTTER THAN HELL album cover, gets onstage with KISS. The complete story appears in the August issue of Creem.

The Rock And Roll All Nite (Studio Version) single debuts at #91 at Cashboard Top-100 Singles Chart.

May 18, 1975
The DRESSED TO KILL album is at #77 in the US Billboard chart.

May 19, 1975
KISS plays Civic Center Theatre in Saint Paul, Minnesota.

May 19-20, 1975
Kramer decides to get new shots for the upcoming live-album in concert at Wilwood, New Jersey and then in Davenport.

May 23, 1975
KISS plays Armory in Medford, Oregon.

May 24, 1975
KISS plays Paramount Northwest Theatre in Portland, Oregon. There is a concert/backstage interview after the show is done, video of this exists.

The Rock And Roll All Nite (Studio Version) single is at # 80 at Cashboard Top 100 Singles Chart.

May 25, 1975
KISS plays Paramount Theater in Seattle, Washington.

May 26, 1975
KISS plays Paramount Theater in Portland, Oregon. New concert in the Canadian Northwest and Rush agree to support the group again for the rest of the tour.

The DRESSED TO KILL album is at # 59 in the US Billboard chart.

May 27, 1975
KISS plays Spokane Coliseum in Spokane, Washington.

May 29, 1975
KISS plays 2 shows at Sahara Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada.

May 30, 1975
KISS plays Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, California.

KISS does a photo-session in Los Angeles by Norman Seeff in The White Room.

May 31, 1975
KISS plays Long Beach Arena in Long Beach, California. Backstage photo shoot by Fin Costello. Some suggest Rush also played this show, though reviews indicate that only James Gang opened. A full headlining set. This is the first known recording with the band's classic "you wanted the best" intro by JR Smalling.

Review of today’s show by Bob Gore, Long Beach Independent, was printed on June 2.

The Rock And Roll All Nite (Studio Version) single is at #71 at Cashboard Top-100 Singles Chart.

June 1, 1975
KISS plays Winterland Ballroom in San Francisco, California. Video of this show was possibly destroyed in fire.

June 2, 1975
The DRESSED TO KILL album is at #49 in the US Billboard chart.

June 6, 1975
KISS plays Warnors Theater in Fresno, California.

The 7”-single Rock And Roll All Nite / Any Thing For My Baby (Casablanca/EMI CBX-510, no picture sleeve) is released in the UK.

June 7, 1975
KISS plays Civic Theater in San Diego, California.

Cashbox writes a story about the group.

The Rock And Roll All Nite (Studio Version) single is at #62 at Cashboard Top-100 Singles Chart.

June 9, 1975
The DRESSED TO KILL album is at #40 in the US Billboard chart.

June 13, 1975
KISS plays Fairgrounds Pavilion in Tulsa, Oklahoma. New audiences and add to the local Rare Earth to open the show and ensure more call.

June 14, 1975
KISS plays Coliseum in Austin, Texas.

The Rock And Roll All Nite (Studio Version) single peaks at #57 at Cashboard Top-100 Singles Chart.

June 15, 1975
KISS plays Coliseum in Corpus Christi, Texas.

June 16, 1975
The DRESSED TO KILL album peaks at #32 on the US Billboard chart, while peaking on Cashbox's Top 200 Albums at #37. (Black Diamond, p.63)

June 17, 1975
Now-magazine has a picture of ‘Gene Live 74-75’ on their cover with a text that says: "KISS smacks with raunchiness."

June 18, 1975
KISS plays Sports Arena in Jackson, Michigan.

June 19, 1975
German Pop #12 has a 1-page portrait, “KISS Live '74”, included.

June 20, 1975
KISS plays Roanoke Civic Center in Salem, Virginia.

June 21, 1975
KISS plays Music Hall in Cleveland, Ohio (recorded for ALIVE!).

Both Let Me Know and Rock And Roll All Nite were used on the King Biscuit Radio Show originally broadcast in November and mention Cleveland by name. The other two songs (She and C'mon And Love Me) were mentioned in a review of the show. This recording does not widely circulate.

There is an interview with Gene in his hotel room before the concert. Gene talks about the upcoming European tour and recordings for a live album with Eddie Kramer at the concert.

The Rock And Roll All Nite (Studio Version) single is at #61 at Cashboard Top-100 Singles Chart. After 6 weeks charting it is the single’s last charting today.

June 22, 1975
KISS plays Civic Center in Charleston, West Virginia.

June 23, 1975
"They call KISS the hottest band in America. I'm not sure about that, but they certainly are the weirdest." (Charleston Gazette)

The DRESSED TO KILL album is at #32 in the US Billboard chart.

June 25, 1975
KISS plays Convention Center in Asbury Park, New Jersey, with Skyscraper. Promoter: Phil Cohen & Earth Productions.

June 27, 1975
KISS plays Civic Center in Asheville, North Carolina.

The DRESSED TO KILL album is at #59 in the US Billboard chart.

June 28, 1975
KISS plays Greenville Auditorium in Greenville, South Carolina.

June 30, 1975
The DRESSED TO KILL album is at #66 in the US Billboard chart.

In July Circus features an interview with KISS. “A Journey through the Mirror”, they call the article. Creem and Swedish Poster also mention the band in their issues.

July 1, 1975
KISS plays Capitol Theater in Port Chester, New York.

July 5, 1975
KISS plays Tampa Stadium in Tampa Bay, Florida. Lots of bands, big day, at least 40,000 people were here.

July 7, 1975
The DRESSED TO KILL album is at #90 in the US Billboard chart.

July 10, 1975
The second single from DRESSED TO KILL is released it is called C'mon And Love Me (Casablanca NB 841).

July 13, 1975
The DRESSED TO KILL album is at #111 in the US Billboard chart.

July 15, 1975
Creem-magazine mentions KISS. They published for the first time a special group dedicated to the shows along the coast and included colour photos and posters.

July 20, 1975
KISS plays Orpheum Theater in Davenport, Iowa. Two sets performed this night were recorded for ALIVE! though neither are circulating. It's known that Let Me Go, Rock 'n' Roll on ALIVE! was at least partially sourced from this show due to Gene's shout out "C'mon Quad City!"

The DRESSED TO KILL album is at #108 in the US Billboard chart.

July 21, 1975
An article about KISS appears in People-magazine.

July 23, 1975
Phil Cohen and Earth Productions proudly present KISS at the Convention Center in Wildwood, New Jersey. The opening act is Mushroom and the cost of tickets is $6.50. Two songs of tonight's performance were used on the ALIVE! album. Hotter Than Hell, Firehouse, and Black Diamond were used on the King Biscuit Radio Show originally broadcast in November, but the quality of the audience recording is so poor and partial only the classic introduction to Hotter Than Hell can be matched up definitively: "I got this feelin' when we came flying in this afternoon it was so sunny I thought we were gonna fry alive."

Still, the three songs are nearly identical to the ALIVE! album versions, albeit with a different audience track. While not a good recording or complete, it is from the last of the shows recorded for ALIVE! However, with the quality issues and drop-outs, it is for diehards only.

July 25, 1975
DRESSED TO KILL, the first KISS album available in Japan (Japanese Subtitle is Jigoku eno Seppun, which means "KISS to Hell") is released + the Single Rock And Roll All Nite / Room Service, is launched in Japan.

July 26, 1975
A review of the KISS single C'mon And Love Me appears in the current issues of Cashbox and Billboard magazines.

July 27, 1975
The DRESSED TO KILL album is at #119 in the US Billboard chart.

July, 1975
During two days, Ace, Gene, Paul and JR Smalling record demos for Bob Ezrin in Magna Graphics Studio (this could by between August 3 and 7, 1975 as well).

In August KISS in the studios to do some clean-up recording work for ALIVE! with Eddie Kramer brought in to capture KISS performance.

This month album DRESSED TO KILL (Casablanca/EMI CBC-4004) is released in the UK, the original issue without embossed cover.

In August Creem-magazine has a 7-page article on the band. Rock Scene also mentions the band.

August 2, 1975
KISS plays Civic Center in Baltimore, Maryland. They are opening for English Heavy Metal gods, Black Sabbath, at this show. This is defiantly a step in the right direction for KISS. This is during Black Sabbath’s SABOTAGE World Tour. Ozzy Osbourne: "I knew they were going to make it big when they were a support band for Black Sabbath, and they asked us to take down the Union Jack flag while touring with us. That showed they had balls. Since then, we have become good friends and I admire them immensely."

August 3, 1975
KISS warms up the crowd for Black Sabbath at the Civic Center in Providence, Rhode Island???

The DRESSED TO KILL album is at #154 in the US Billboard chart.

August 8, 1975
KISS plays Civic Center in Providence, Rhode Island. KISS' shortened set was a result of their opening for Black Sabbath. The show was sold out and the audience reportedly booed heartily when the band's set finished, wanting more of what they'd just experienced.

While a bit distant sounding, this audio recording has nicely balanced levels. Paul's raps can be a bit difficult to hear, though he's very energetic. The show circulates direct from the master recorded using a Sony TC-110A analogue cassette recorder.

August 9, 1975
KISS plays Palace Theater in Albany, New York.

August 10, 1975
The DRESSED TO KILL album is at #200 in the US Billboard chart.

August 11-13, 1975
There are repetitions with Kiss and Bob Ezrin.

August 14, 1975
KISS opens the show for Black Sabbath at the Orpheum Theatre in Boston, Massachusetts.

August 15, 1975
KISS plays Civic Center in Saginaw, Michigan.

August 16, 1975
KISS plays Walker Arena in Muskegon, Michigan. British New Musical Express mentions that KISS is set to play in England in late September. October arrived and the concert never took place.

August 17, 1975
KISS plays Pekin Memorial Stadium in Pekin, Illinois.

The DRESSED TO KILL album is at #198 in the US Billboard chart.

August 18-21, 1975
There are repetitions with Kiss and Bob Ezrin.

In August Swedish Poster #6 has a 2-page KISS article + a poster of the band.

August 23, 1975
KISS plays Calderone Concert Hall in Hempstead, New York. This is one of the best shows to circulate from the late stage of the tour. Fin Costello shoots the band back stage, while Chip Rock photographs KISS during the show. Paul Stanley's parents are in attendance.

Meanwhile designer Dennis Wołoch discovers a cartoonist who was hired and was asked to sketch a future album. His name is Ken Kelly (originally Gene wanted Frank Frazetta to paint the cover. Ken Kelly is Frazetta's cousin and Ken was paid $5,000 to paint the cover).

KISS also appears in the current issue of NME-magazine today.

August 24, 1975
There is a photo session in Red/Orange Room in Detroit by Fin Costello. This is from the same photo session with the naked girl.

The DRESSED TO KILL album is at #198 in the US Billboard chart.

August 25, 1975
KISS plays State Fair Arena in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

August 27, 1975
KISS plays Sports Center in Owensboro, Kentucky.

August 28, 1975
KISS plays Convention Center in Indianapolis, Indiana.

August 30, 1975
Eddie Kramer is at Electric Ladyland Studios in New York City as the mixing procedure begins for ALIVE! Eddie Kramer said since KISS was "all over the bloody place" on stage, it was very hard to be perfect and thus there was a lot of sloppy playing and missed vocals. He also stated that KISS was not very "tight" musically and that the entire album, except for the drums were all overdubs.

Melody Maker publishes an album review of DRESSED TO KILL in the current issue of their magazine.

In September Finnish Suosikki-magazine mentions the band.

September 3-6, 1975
Pre-production with KISS and Bob Ezrin, most of basic tracks are made for the DESTROYER album at Electric Lady.

September 10, 1975
KISS plays Chattanooga Memorial Auditorium in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

ALIVE! (Casablanca NBLP 7020) is released in the US. ALIVE! was recorded as a means to fulfil contractual obligations with Casablanca Records. Because the first 3 albums sold poorly, ALIVE! would quicken the band's progress in fulfilling album quotas with Casablanca before moving to another label.

September 11, 1975
KISS plays Knoxville Civic Coliseum in Knoxville, Tennessee.

September 12, 1975
KISS plays Greensboro Coliseum in Greensboro, North Carolina.

September 13, 1975
KISS plays Norfolk Scope in Norfolk, Virginia.

September 14, 1975
KISS plays King's College in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania.

September 15-26, 1975
Planned production days for the DESTROYER album were canceled due to contract row between KISS and Casablanca.

September 21, 1975
Concerts Promotion International, Inc. presents The Summer’s End Festival at Memorial Field, Mt. Vernon. Show canceled.

September 30, 1975
Paul Stanley signs his ASCAP contract as Stanley Eisen.

In October both German Popfoto #10 and Swedish Poster #7 have articles on the band.

October 2, 1975
KISS plays War Memorial Arena in Syracuse, New York.

October 3, 1975
KISS plays Tower Theater in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania. Promoter: Midnight Sun.

October 4, 1975
KISS plays Capitol Theater in Passaic, New Jersey during the opening night of two shows in one night at this venue (photos show video screens, video). The bass player for Savroy Brown put on Paul's fire helmet and the audience boo'd the living shit out of him!

Cashbox-magazine reviews ALIVE!

October 5, 1975
KISS plays Rochester Community War Memorial in Rochester, New York.

The C’mon And Love Me (Intense Love) / Get Away single is released in Japan.

October 6, 1975
KISS plays Memorial Hall in Allentown, Pennsylvania.

This is the start of the "KISS Week" in Cadillac, Michigan. The Cadillac Evening News prints an article about the upcoming KISS appearance.

October 7, 1975
KISS plays Read Fieldhouse in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

October 8, 1975
Wednesday, 1:00pm - 2:00pm - KISS will call WATT-AM Radio in Cadillac and do a radio interview via telephone.

October 9, 1975
KISS plays Cadillac High School in Cadillac, Michigan. Attendance: ~1,500. Other Act: Double Yellow Line. Arrival/school/concert is captured on video.

October 10, 1975
Cadillac, Michigan: KISS has a whole town in KISS make-of, two amazing days in Cadillac tons of pictures from this event exist. Lunch/parade/exit is also captured on video.

October 11, 1975
KISS plays Veterans Memorial Auditorium in Columbus, Ohio.

The ALIVE! album debuts at #113 in the US Billboard chart.

October 14, 1975
A live version of Rock And Roll All Nite (Casablanca NB 850) is released in the US.

KISS appears on the cover of the Northern Living newspaper in a story about their recent visit to Cadillac High School, and John Laurent (the principal) of that school writes a letter to thank Jim Neff (the coach) who was responsible for the event.

October 18, 1975
A full page advertisement of ALIVE! appears in Cashbox-magazine. Billboard-magazine also mentions the band.

The ALIVE! album is at #81 in the US Billboard chart.

October 19, 1975
KISS plays Orlando Sports Stadium in Orlando, Florida.

October 20, 1975
KISS plays Bay Front Center in St. Petersburg, Florida.

October 22, 1975
KISS plays Municipal Auditorium in Birmingham, Alabama.

October 25, 1975
KISS releases their ALIVE! album in Japan. The Japanese version of ALIVE! was subtitled Jigoku no Kyoujuu (Crazy Beast (Running Amok) From Hell).

Melody Maker-magazine writes about KISS.

The ALIVE! album is at #71 in the US Billboard chart.

October 26, 1975
KISS plays Garrett Coliseum in Montgomery, Alabama.

October 30, 1975
KISS plays Nashville Municipal Auditorium in Nashville, Tennessee.

In November Circus Raves-magazine mentions the band.

November 1, 1975
KISS plays Kiel Auditorium in St. Louis, Missouri.

The ALIVE! album is at #34 in the US Billboard chart.

November 3, 1975
KISS plays Sawyer Auditorium in La Crosse, Wisconsin.

November 6, 1975
KISS plays San Antonio Convention Center in San Antonio, Texas.

November 7, 1975
KISS plays Lamar University in Beaumont, Texas.

November 8, 1975
KISS plays University of Texas in Arlington, Texas.

The ALIVE! album is at #26 in the US Billboard chart.

The Rock And Roll All Nite (Live Version) single debuts at #91 at Cashboard Top-100 Singles Chart.

November 9, 1975
KISS plays Sam Houston Coliseum in Houston, Texas.

November 12, 1975
KISS plays Toledo Sports Arena in Toledo, Ohio.

In November Swedish Poster #8 has a 2-page KISS article + poster of the band inside. Note: Poster-magazine had make-up contest with great prices and some great articles about KISS in 1975-1976.

November 14, 1975
The ALIVE! album enters the Swedish charts. Album charts for 6 weeks there, peaking at #22.

November 15, 1975
KISS plays Rockford Armory in Rockford, Illinois. The show includes a rare performance of Ladies In Waiting.

The ALIVE! album is at #24 in the US Billboard chart.

The Rock And Roll All Nite (Live Version) single is at #90 at Cashboard Top-100 Singles Chart.

November 16, 1975
KISS plays IMA Sports Arena in Flint, Michigan.

November 17, 1975
KISS plays IMA Sports Arena in Flint, Michigan.

November 18, 1975
KISS plays McMorran Arena in Port Huron, Michigan. This concert was also photographed by Chip Rock.

November 19, 1975
KISS cancels show at Glacier Arena in Traverse City, Michigan. KISS' equipment blew out and the band didn't perform following Styx's set at this concert. Around 6,000 fans had shown up for the show. While Styx was performing their final song an electrical short caused $12,000 of damage to amps, speakers, and lightning. However, the issues affecting the venue were more serious, since the venue was dangerously over-sold for the venue. The official capacity was 4,154 seats, though the facilities could only handle a maximum 2,450 person capacity. The state fire marshal limited the venue's capacity to that latter figure following the show. Initially there were plans to reschedule the show, but the facilities issues caused the ultimate cancellation. The whole situation, plus police seizures of "$1,300 of illegal drugs and paraphernalia from the fans" during the concert beg the question that the "short" might have been seen as a convenient way out of a potentially dangerous situation. Promoter: Steve Glantz Productions.

November 21, 1975
KISS plays Hulman Center in Terre Haute, Indiana. This is the first official gathering of the KISS Army in Terra Haute, Indiana. There is an interview with Gene and Peter in a limo for WPFR radio station before the concert, and there is an interview with KISS and Bill Starkey. This show is the second sold-out concert in Terre Haute, Elvis Presley was the very first to have a sell-out crowd in this city. What was thought to be film footage was actually just a photograph of the marquee.

November 22, 1975
KISS plays International Amphitheatre in Chicago, Illinois.

The ALIVE! album is at #19 in the US Billboard chart.

The Rock And Roll All Nite (Live Version) single is at #71 at Cashboard Top-100 Singles Chart.

November 23, 1975
KISS plays Roberts Stadium in Evansville, Indiana.

November 26, 1975
KISS plays Veterans Memorial Fieldhouse in Huntington, West Virginia.

November 27, 1975
KISS plays Cumberland County Crown Coliseum in Fayetteville, North Carolina.

November 28, 1975
KISS plays Asheville Civic Center in Asheville, North Carolina.

November 29, 1975
KISS plays Charlotte Coliseum in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Billboard has an article on KISS’ visit to Cadillac, “KISS Inspires High School to Bigger, Better Things.”

The ALIVE! album is at #15 in the US Billboard chart.

The Rock And Roll All Nite (Live Version) single is at #58 at Cashboard Top-100 Singles Chart.

November 30, 1975
KISS plays Capital Centre in Landover, Maryland. The encores of his concert are available as a pro-shot bootleg video. In fact a small clip of Cold Gin appears on the DVD titled X-TREME CLOSE-UP.

Set list: Cold Gin / Rock And Roll All Nite / Let Me Go, Rock 'n' Roll. Only the encores from this show circulate on video raising the tantalizing question about whether there's "more." Cool due to very close camera work, giving an interesting view of the stage. Audio, or at least the mix, leaves a bit to be desired.

In December Creem-magazine includes “Stars Cars Peter” portrait and ALIVE! LP review. Circus Raves-magazine also mentions the band.

December 2, 1975
KISS plays Columbus Municipal Auditorium in Columbus, Georgia.

December 3, 1975
KISS plays Houston County Farm Center in Dothan, Alabama.

The Aquarian Vol. 30, #104 has a black & white picture/drawing of "Paul in ALIVE!-costume" on their cover.

December 4, 1975
The ALIVE! Album is certified Gold by the RIAA, it is the first KISS album to attain any sales award.

December 5, 1975
KISS plays The Omni in Atlanta, Georgia.

December 6, 1975
KISS plays Jacksonville Coliseum in Jacksonville, Florida.

The ALIVE! album is at #12 in the US Billboard chart.

The Rock And Roll All Nite (Live Version) single debuts at #42 at Cashboard Top-100 Singles Chart.

December 7, 1975
KISS is encapsulated in the Record Plant Studios to make demos of the next album. Hired as producer is Bob Ezrin to inject a new creative, compositions within the parameters of the group??

December 12, 1975
KISS plays War Memorial Arena in Syracuse, New York.

December 13, 1975
KISS appears in Cashbox-magazine.

The ALIVE! album is at #10 in the US Billboard chart.

The Rock And Roll All Nite (Live Version) single is at #35 at Cashboard Top-100 Singles Chart.

December 14, 1975
KISS plays Orpheum Theater in Boston, Massachusetts.

December 15, 1975
KISS does an in-store signing at Peaches, a record store in Atlanta, GA, where they also place their hand-prints in cement outside the store.

December 18, 1975
KISS plays Palace Theater in Waterbury, Connecticut. Footage runs about 14:24, so roughly 1/5 of the show is represented. Filmed in silent Super8, the quality of which makes it rather difficult to decipher what may have been performed. Regardless of the nature of the footage, captured is Gene setting his hair on fire.

Rolling Stone-magazine has a “Cadillac High” feature with photos/KISS photo on the Random Notes page.

December 19, 1975
KISS plays Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena in Binghamton, New York.

December 20, 1975
KISS plays Civic Arena in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

The ALIVE! album peaks at #9 in the US Billboard chart.

The Rock And Roll All Nite (Live Version) single is at #30 at Cashboard Top-100 Singles Chart.

December 21, 1975
KISS plays Richmond Coliseum in Richmond, Virginia.

In December Swedish Poster #9 has a 2-page KISS article included.

December 26, 1975
The KISS concert at the Coliseum in Fort Wayne, Indiana, is postponed until April 1976.

December 27, 1975
KISS plays Freedom Hall in Louisville, Kentucky.

The ALIVE! album is at #19 in the US Billboard chart.

The Rock And Roll All Nite (Live Version) single is at #23 at Cashboard Top-100 Singles Chart.

December 28, 1975
KISS plays Edmund P. Joyce Center in South Bend, Indiana.

December 29, 1975
KISS plays Providence Civic Center in Providence, Rhode Island. Attendance: 17,000.

December 31, 1975
KISS plays Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale, New York.

KISS close out the year with a concert with Blue Oyster Cult and Leslie West opening. This night, KISS receive their gold awards for ALIVE! backstage prior to the show. KISS meets Linda Lovelace. There is a big new-year’s swimming-pool party in a fine New York hotel.

Late
Circus-magazine picked ALIVE! as the second-best album of the year behind Led Zeppelin's PHYSICAL GRAFFITI.

zcmi
Denmark

Re: KISS 1975

Post by zcmi »

im sure this is not all kiss did in 75

robban
GOLD USER
GOLD USER
Italy

Post by robban »

Why you don't write an book?????
i think can be really interesting for any TRUE KISS fans,old and new!!!!!!
i have find some notice,who don't know!!!!!
maybe an good publisher,can help.you!!!
i think this can be an up to high grade to date book at Alive Forever
(One's of the BEST book of ever!!!)
Compliments for the excellent job!!!!!! :OK:
Save the music, Choose vinyl for the best quality !!!!!! Illegal Download kill the music !!!!!!
www.facebook.com/kissarmypavia

Knucklepuck
SILVER USER
SILVER USER

Post by Knucklepuck »

I LOVE these chronologies. Very well done and informative. I just noticed one error:

"In March DRESSED TO KILL press kit featured black & white pictures and bio. DRESSED TO KILL promo display and promo-poster were also produced with a LP divider, which was a cardboard sheet used to divide and highlight the then 4 albums KISS had released."

As we all know, DTK was their 3rd album, not the 4th.

zcmi
Denmark

Post by zcmi »

Knucklepuck wrote:I LOVE these chronologies. Very well done and informative. I just noticed one error:

"In March DRESSED TO KILL press kit featured black & white pictures and bio. DRESSED TO KILL promo display and promo-poster were also produced with a LP divider, which was a cardboard sheet used to divide and highlight the then 4 albums KISS had released."

As we all know, DTK was their 3rd album, not the 4th.
Thanks,
remember the debut album was re-released w/ Kissin' Time on it

Knucklepuck
SILVER USER
SILVER USER

Post by Knucklepuck »

zcmi wrote: remember the debut album was re-released w/ Kissin' Time on it
Yeah but I doubt they would have shown the same album twice because of that.