My life right now sucks!!

Anything non Kiss related goes in here: other bands, fun, whatever...

Moderators: Partyman, speedy64, Demon, derFAN

Demon
Location: Central Florida - It is Hotter than Hell down here!!

My life right now sucks!!

Post by Demon »

Some of you know that I am a police officer who was hurt in the line of duty. I was denied my medical pension this past Monday. A local News TV station called me for an interview:

My interview

It is short and does not go into very much detail.

Officer Injured On The Job Fights For Pension

ORLANDO, Fla. -- An Orlando police and the Fraternal Order of Police are fighting the city on its decision to deny him pension benefits. David Mixon was with the Orlando Police Department for 16 years before he was injured on the job twice. In spite of that, he said, the city has denied him the lifetime benefits he claims he is entitled to.

Mixon was rear-ended in his patrol car twice on the job. His back was hurt so badly that he has been on light duty for two years and he filed to retire early. “So my recourse after seeking treatment was to file for medical pension," said Mixon.

His claim was denied. In an e-mail, Robert Klausner, Attorney for City of Orlando Pension Board, explained to Eyewitness News that the city charter and state "Prohibits disability benefits from being granted if the disability is based on a medical condition that pre-existed employment."

Mixon said he was never aware of such a condition.

“We felt my new injuries were not related to my old injury, so we made a case for that," said Mixon.

Mixon will still get what he has contributed to his pension in his 16 years as an officer. However, he won't get a lifetime of health insurance and additional lifetime pension benefits worth tens of thousands of dollars, all tax-free.

Sam Hoffman, the president of Orlando’s Fraternal Order of Police told Eyewitness News he believed the pension board made “an improper decision based on the evidence.”

Now Mixon wants to warn other officers, they too could be denied these benefits.

"If you get hurt you need to be aware, if a doctor determines it's pre-existing, whether you know it or not, you could not get your pension. It's a possibility."

Mixon does plan to appeal the pension board's decision. That process could take up to six months.

Jumpi

Post by Jumpi »

Good luck, buddy! :wave:

Demon

Post by Demon »

Here's a video of the news story:

Watch the video

PJ
SILVER USER
SILVER USER
Canada

Post by PJ »

to prove your back hurts is way more difficult than if you had an apparent injury but DON'T GIVE UP!!! :OK:

DigitalXMan
GOLD USER
GOLD USER

Post by DigitalXMan »

Wow Demon Eye. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Hang in there. NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Partyman

Post by Partyman »

Hey my buddy Crockett -
I am thinking of you and hope you ''win'' this fight
KEEP THE FAITH -
and remember - You are the ''good'' guy :OK:

tiger67
DOUBLE PLATINUM USER
DOUBLE PLATINUM USER
Germany

Post by tiger67 »

[quote="DigitalXMan";p="207686"]Wow Demon Eye. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Hang in there. NEVER GIVE UP!!! [/quote]

David: I agree with DXM and wish U all the best !

Greetings in the US :wave: !

P.S.:
Right now I will underbreak THE HOG and will watch Your News.... :wink: !
[size=150][color=violet][b]Paul[/b][/color][/size]
[size=150][color=black][b]-[/b][/color][/size] [color=red][size=150][b]Gene[/b][/size][/color] [size=150][b][color=black]-[/color][/b][/size] [size=150][color=green][b]Eric Singer[/b][/color][/size] [color=black][size=150][b]&[/b][/size][/color][size=150][b][color=blue]Tommy[/color][/b][/size]

Demon

Post by Demon »

Well, the latest news is the my union, The Fraternal Order of Police (FOP) will pay for my appeal. A lawyer has already been contacted and has received most of the material needed for my appeal. The appeal process is done in Circuit Court (a high court) and I believe it is a panel of three judges. The appeal will be filed within the next 30 days.

Oh, the chief is being so kind *sarcastically* to let me stay employed until October 31st. I guess it is better than being terminated tomorrow.....

DigitalXMan
GOLD USER
GOLD USER

Post by DigitalXMan »

so this means you will have a answer within 30 days or that's when the appeal process start's?

Demon

Post by Demon »

Once the final order from the pension board is received (which was today or tomorrow) we have thirty days to file the appeal. The appeal itself could take anywhere from a few months to a year.