My life right now sucks!!

Anything non Kiss related goes in here: other bands, fun, whatever...

Moderators: Partyman, speedy64, Demon, derFAN

Partyman

Post by Partyman »

Hang in there buddy :OK: :wave:

Kiss777
PLATINUM USER
PLATINUM USER
United States of America

Post by Kiss777 »

They need to do the right thing and step up and take care of you Dave in the end hope that happens :OK:
[img]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/Don77777/sweetpic2.jpg[/img]

Demon
Location: Central Florida - It is Hotter than Hell down here!!

Post by Demon »

Thanks guys....my goal for the short term is to find a job. I got my letter yesterday that Oct. 31st is my last day. I again thank everyone for their support.

k|msy
SILVER USER
SILVER USER
Italy

Post by k|msy »

aww. so sorry to hear that mate *gives big hugs*

good luck in everything, we're all by your side :)

[img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style3,Kimsy.png[/img]

Demon

Post by Demon »

Well, I thought I would give an update with what's going on.

I was terminated by the police department on Oct. 31st. My appeal of the pension boards decision to deny me will be made to the Circuit Court (high court) and presented to a three judge panel. My appeal was filed Nov. 7th. The pension board's attorney has 30 days to write a response and then my attorney has 30 days to respond to that response. So, 60 days can go by before it is ready to be presented to the judges. Then once it is ready we have to wait for an opening on the docket for the judges to actually get the appeal. My lawyer may not have to present an argument. It could be that the judges only need to go over the written appeal. Anyway, I was told to be prepared that this process could take up to a year.

So, I have been looking for work. Hopefully something will turn up soon! :OK:

tiger67
DOUBLE PLATINUM USER
DOUBLE PLATINUM USER
Germany

Post by tiger67 »

[quote="Demon Eye";p="211131"].........So, I have been looking for work. Hopefully something will turn up soon! :OK:[/quote]

Much luck with that All American Man :OK: !
Let us know........... :wave: !
[size=150][color=violet][b]Paul[/b][/color][/size]
[size=150][color=black][b]-[/b][/color][/size] [color=red][size=150][b]Gene[/b][/size][/color] [size=150][b][color=black]-[/color][/b][/size] [size=150][color=green][b]Eric Singer[/b][/color][/size] [color=black][size=150][b]&[/b][/size][/color][size=150][b][color=blue]Tommy[/color][/b][/size]

Demon

Post by Demon »

I just wanted to give an update on the OPD pension and what is going on in the employment world for me. As you all know I was denied my medical pension last fall and was terminated from OPD Oct. 31, 2007.
I don’t need to go over how devastating that was for me and the family. In late November I started working at a company that provided a product for schools for pre FCAT testing. It was a good job; the pay was horrible. I worked nights with a friend and that was the coolest part.

I then left there and took a job with a “debit” insurance company. What this means is that I not only sold insurance but, I collected the monthly premiums. Our demographics is the poorer community; mostly the black inner city community. I met a lot of great people/policy holders and enjoyed being their insurance agent. I caught on well enough but had a lingering feeling that this was not for me. I did not like the pressure of the insurance business. It is a numbers game and powered on how much you sell. No matter what you do; you can do more, more, more!!!

So, I started insurance the first week of February and at the same time the appeal for my pension was making its way to be turned over the Orange County Circuit Court. On February 8th the appeal was officially turned over to the court. I am still a member of the Fraternal Order of Police and through them have an outstanding appellate attorney. She told me to expect at least six months before we get any word from the court. So, the wait began. I asked my attorney in February if in her opinion this was a good arguable case or are we fighting an uphill battle. In her opinion she felt this was a very good case. I do understand that the court will decide and she could not make any guarantees. Yet, I do take her experience into light and feel very optimistic that things will work out.

I have to mention that I have personally gotten down on my knees and turned over to God that which I have no control over. I asked for strength to do well with what I can control and to have patience. I continue this prayer today as I feel it does not hurt to continue to ask for His help.

Before and during my insurance employment I have been applying for other things that are more suited with my knowledge, skills, and abilities. It is amazing how many companies do not respond. I continued with insurance and each day became more and more miserable and even with prayer to change my attitude I could not shake the feeling I am not where I am supposed to be. Not only that I am driving thirty miles to Orlando everyday and then once I’m there I driving all around and then driving back home. The gas prices are high and it hits the pocket book.

Last year around March or April when anticipating that I would be retiring from the Orlando Police Department I applied and interviewed with the State of Florida Department of Transportation. I interviewed and later learned I did well but was not picked. Good thing because I did not go to pension board until September.

Fast forward thirteen months and a friend from church that works at DOT let me know that another opening was being posted and I should apply again. I did and interviewed again. I remembered the interview panel and they remembered me too. It went very well and I was told that I would find out in two days.

I went back to the “debit” miserable and really feeling a lot of stress. This was all this past week. I mentioned earlier that most of the stress I felt in the insurance business was the internal daily “what are your numbers, what did you sell, how many people did you meet, how much money are you going to make, what’s your projected production, and so forth, over and over and over repetitive how much more can you do!!!!!!!!!!!!!” Wednesday came and I heard nothing. I could not stand it anymore. I came home to Donna and said I have to resign from the insurance company even though I don’t have the DOT job to fall back on. It was still a possibility but not a guarantee. I was the closet to a nervous breakdown I think someone could get without actually having one. Donna and I talked and decided that if I did this that I would do anything I had to do to keep cash coming in until I could finally find something that was career worthy. I promised that I would.

The weight of the world felt like had been lifted almost immediately. I drafted a resignation letter and gave my two weeks. Even though a sense of relieve was there I was still worried about me bring in money to take care of my family. We could not live on Donna’s paychecks alone. So, Thursday came and still no offer from DOT. I figured they had some else in mind. I did finally receive a call say that they were checking my references. I took this a sign but still no guarantee.

Friday, yesterday rolls in. Now I’m feeling like someone has probably said something negative about me or something and I was definitely not going to be offered anything from DOT. So, I go into the office as we have district meetings on Fridays and figured that I still needed to do my job well and just plug along. I have people on my “debit” that relied on me. I feel a sense of responsibility to the company and policy holders. So, I’m sitting there in the morning meeting and the cell phone rings. I see it is my contact with DOT. I get up and walk in front of my district manager as he is talking; not really paying attention to how rude that must of looked. My heart was beating so hard I thought I was going to have a heart attack before I could answer. I guess with all the stress of making the decision to leave without a fall back plan and really wanting the DOT position, and the hard pressed need to provide for my family, finally was getting to me a ten times fold right then. I answered and tried to sound cheerful. Pleasantries were exchanged and I was then told those words that made me want to yell and scream at the top of my lungs. “David, we would like to offer you a position with the Department of Transportation Traffic Management Department.” I have to contain myself so I told her that I would gladly accept. We spoke for a few minute and then hung up.

I don’t mean to spend so much time on this aspect. It is not like this job will pay me tons and tons of money. I do think it will be a rewarding and challenging endeavor though. I think that I am so focused on this because I feel like I found somewhere that I can start a new career and finally I have been given a break. I did not have to compromise. I earned something and have finally gotten a break. So, I thought I felt relieved just a day prior. Well, I have been just downright giddy for that last day and a half.

I still worry and have some stress about the pension board stuff, but I know that God is there and will take care of me. It was not long after my phone call and accepting the position that I told God that it would not of happened without Him and how thankful I am.

So, I am with the insurance company for two days this coming week (I’m going to the Coke a Cola 600 in Charlotte, NC) and two days the following week. My district manager is being very gracious in allowing me to work the limited schedule and still get paid. Friday, May 30th will be my first day.

DigitalXMan
GOLD USER
GOLD USER

Post by DigitalXMan »

Congrats on the job Demon Eye. Having a State job can be quite rewarding. If you get a state job in North Carolina you got it made. I'm sure Florida is the same. :wave:

cincykiss65
BRONZE USER
BRONZE USER
United States of America

Post by cincykiss65 »

Best of luck. I wish you the best! :OK:

Partyman

Post by Partyman »

Hey buddy !
Wish you all the best - thanks for sharing this with us !
Keep the faith ! :wave: