Dito Godwin - producer CRISS Cat #1

Have you heard any news or other interesting things about Kiss? Don't keep it for yourself, share them with everybody else! Of course you can also discuss any Kiss-related topic here with others as well.

Moderators: Partyman, speedy64, Demon, derFAN

Marie
SILVER USER
SILVER USER
United States of America

Dito Godwin - producer CRISS Cat #1

Post by Marie »

Special Feature by: Sakis Nikas

Dito Godwin

Rockpages.gr: Your first professional collaboration with Peter Criss was in 1993 with the recording of CRISS? EP. How did you meet with Peter ?

Dito Godwin: Well, back in 1993 I was the Vice President of TNT Records...around that time Music Connection did a special article on us and wrote some pretty good things about the label. Peter liked what he read and he really wanted to work with us. He phoned us; we arranged a meeting and sealed the deal. After a few months, his band did a showcase for us and although we liked the new material, we thought that they needed some more songs in order to come up with a strong record. When they delivered all the new songs, I knew that this record would be special.

Rockpages.gr: In 1994, CRISS released their first (and as it turned out last) full-length album that you also produced. Peter has stated that this was his best recording experience in years. What do you remember from that work in the studio?

Dito Godwin: So much...(laughs) First of all, Peter, in his two previous solo records, didn?t play drums on all the songs. That was the big difference with "Cat #1" where he played everything and did a brilliant job. Another thing that really stands out is the fact that in 1994 there was a major earthquake in Los Angeles and Peter was really upset. We established a great relationship...we were like brothers. To tell you the truth, up until the point that we got to work together I haven?t realized how great Peter was as a singer...

Rockpages.gr: Many people, including Gene Simmons, have said that Peter has a unique voice but he sings out of tune?

Dito Godwin: No, that's not true at all. You got to understand that in 1994 there were no Pro-Tools or the aid of the advanced computer technology like nowadays. Peter did not sing out of tune!

Rockpages.gr: You had played piano in the excellent ballad "Blue Moon Over Brooklyn" and you are also featured among the guest musicians in the EP (slide guitar on "The Cat"). Was it your decision or Peter was the one who suggested it?

Dito Godwin: First of all, apart from playing slide guitar I did all the backing vocals with the bass player, Mark Montague. As for "Blue Moon Over Brooklyn", the piano was just sitting there and when I listened to the track I started playing and it perfectly fit with the whole atmosphere of it.

Rockpages.gr: I am asking because this song is special for Peter?

Dito Godwin: I know...if you look at the inner sleeve of the c.d. you will notice that the album is dedicated to both Peter?s mother and my mother. We had lost our mothers around the same time. So, "Blue Moon Over Brooklyn" is a special song for both of us.

Rockpages.gr: Ace Frehley played three guitar solos on the album. Describe to us the whole experience, especially given the fact that there were in the same studio two of the original KISS members?

Dito Godwin: The whole time in the studio was great...even more exciting was the time outside the studio. We couldn't go out for dinner without someone noticing these guys...asking for autographs, photos etc. I haven't realized that people would know them without their make-up (laughs)! I am really blessed to have worked with the two most talented musicians in KISS. I know that most of the fans out there think that Paul and Gene are the gifted ones, but I strongly believe that...musically speaking...Ace and Peter were the heart and soul of KISS.

Rockpages.gr: Being the Vice-President of TNT Records, is it true that CRISS was about to record a second full-length record?

Dito Godwin: Absolutely! The contract was for two more albums and the guys have already written a bunch of songs for a follow-up c.d. But, I knew from the beginning that Peter would get back to KISS eventually...when, I got Ace to play on the album and then put them on a tour (the "Bad Boys Tour") together, I knew that it was only a matter of time before Gene makes his move...he called after a couple of months and the KISS reunion put a halt at CRISS as a band.

Rockpages.gr: Any bitter feelings?

Dito Godwin: Back then, yes...now, not really!

Rockpages.gr: How you would describe Peter as a person?

Dito Godwin: That's tough?well, I haven't seen Peter in a long time, but he was very warm and caring...very much into his music and really, really focused!

Rockpages.gr: Peter has said that he is about to record his "rock" album. Did he approach you for yet another collaboration? Have you kept in touch with him?

Dito Godwin: No...I saw him during a KISS rehearsal...that was actually 6 years ago. We spoke briefly but that was it. Listen, the music industry has changed since 1994. I hope that he will deliver something special again like he did 15 years ago.

Rockpages.gr: Last words?

Dito Godwin: I wish Peter all the best...he is a true talented musician and he deserves the success that he has achieved all those years.

http://www.rockpages.gr/standard.aspx?t ... =K&lang=EN

Dito Godwin website :
http://www.ditogodwin.com/