KST Frehley's Comet Podcast

Have you heard any news or other interesting things about Kiss? Don't keep it for yourself, share them with everybody else! Of course you can also discuss any Kiss-related topic here with others as well.

Moderators: Partyman, speedy64, Demon, derFAN

Fortress
BRONZE USER
BRONZE USER
Canada

KST Frehley's Comet Podcast

Post by Fortress »

2 parts,40min each now up at Podomatic!
http://kisstory.podomatic.com/ or subscribe to us on itunes!
You can also look us up on Facebook,follow our Twitter at https://twitter.com/KisstoryScience
Check out or Blog http://kisstorysciencetheatre.blogspot.ca/
See our videos on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/KisstorySciTheatre
And see the Kiss Imposters on our Vimeo Channel http://vimeo.com/starchild1992

Starchild41
SILVER USER
SILVER USER

Re: KST Frehley's Comet Podcast

Post by Starchild41 »

Great podcast guys! I love your reviews and retrospect on Ace and KISS in general. Very entertaining. I am curious though about your remark that Ace still received his standard 25% share off of Lick it up and Animalize. The only reason I question that is because Polygram took KISS back to court for breech of contract during that time to reconfigure the terms of their deal, once they knew Ace was gone. KISS lost their butt on that too, because when KISS originally signed with Polygram, no one knew their star was getting ready to crash. So Polygram gave them one of the richest contracts at that time which included alot of advance money to make their albums. With Peter leaving at that time the deal was based on Paul, Gene, and Ace remaining in the band. So I guess my point to all this is if Ace was still legally able to recoup his 25% share, how could Polygram sue KISS for Ace not being part of the band? Clearly Ace wasn't involving himself. But if Polygram was able to prove KISS was in breech of contract, how then was Ace not in breech of his deal with KISS? See what I mean? Something doesn't add up there. So I'm really wondering if Ace truly got anything at all for those records. I always laugh when I hear Paul talk about the time when he went to Connecticut to plead for Ace to come back to the band. He always claims he was doing it because they wanted Ace there. Not true. The real reason was KISS knew their label would be suing them if he didn't come back. Understandable too. But it would be nice if Paul could actually tell a story straight. That's why I'll be surprised what he has to say in his book. Is he going to finally open up and tell the TRUE story about how much they struggled back then or is he going to cover it up with a bunch of "we planned it that way" bullsh*t? In truth I think people would have far greater respect for the man if he explained exactly how he overcame all of that and kept the band going. In my mind, that is an epic story worth telling the world. It would certainly place him in more of a legendary status if the official story explained those struggles. Plus it would underscore his place in the band's history.

It's interesting too if you think about it. Paul's hard work saved KISS in the 80's after Peter and Ace bailed. But it was Ace and Peter that saved KISS in 1996 when the band was floundering and all but broke. IMAGINE what would have happened if the reunion had not happened and the band had needed Carnival of Souls to actually make them money? What a dark chapter that would have been! You know people talk alot about how Ace and Peter were down on their luck, but so was KISS. And even just as important, if Doc McGhee had NOT taken over managerial duties, KISS would not have done as well because he had the foresight to think big for the band and take that risk. KISS thought it was insane to try and sell tickets at Tiger stadium. So even the band themselves never knew what their draw would be. And for the most part it is truly Doc who has pulled the string since. He is the one who has gotten them sold on this "get all you can take" and "sell that image" attitude.

I look forward to your next Podcast. You guys do great work. I would love to hear an in depth discussion about all of the guitarists in KISS. Not that I don't know for myself, since I've been a fan since '75. But I would be fascinated to hear the perspective you guys have and share your honest opinions about each. I think that's what I like about your show the most. You don't pull punches. And when you hand down criticisms, your not doing it for the sake of being critical. Your just saying it because that's how you feel as a fan and I respect that. I would also like your opinions on the band's "branding" philosophy these days with the outrageous meet & greet prices, that ridiculous Monster book, and the band using Peter and Ace's makeup. I would thoroughly enjoy your comments and discussions on that. Hey you should consider a call in episode. :mrgreen: I'd call!
Last edited by Starchild41 on Sat 15. Sep 2012, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.

Fortress
BRONZE USER
BRONZE USER
Canada

Re: KST Frehley's Comet Podcast

Post by Fortress »

I think it comes down to contractual agreements between Kiss and the Label and contractual agreements within the Kiss company itself. Peter was still receiving (or supposed to be receiving) royalties until 1987 when he was finally bought out in a lump sum. Monies were,of course,paid to Kiss by Polygram then divided by the Kiss company as per their agreements made in the 70's.