And KISS Monster debuts on Billboard at...

Have you heard any news or other interesting things about Kiss? Don't keep it for yourself, share them with everybody else! Of course you can also discuss any Kiss-related topic here with others as well.

Moderators: Partyman, speedy64, Demon, derFAN

Starchild41
SILVER USER
SILVER USER

Re: And KISS Monster debuts on Billboard at...

Post by Starchild41 »

In the old days a video came out with an album. These days, it seems like promotion is limited to TV spots alone.

Starchild41
SILVER USER
SILVER USER

Post by Starchild41 »

Well Daily Double DID have KISS Monster sitting at 42 for it's third week. Now it's not even in the top 50. So I have no idea where it's at. For a reporting site, DD certainly is lacking in the accuracy and timeliness of what they publish.
Last edited by Starchild41 on Tue 30. Oct 2012, 03:17, edited 1 time in total.

Starchild41
SILVER USER
SILVER USER

Post by Starchild41 »

Final position is 38 for week 3. Not too bad. Better than expected. So that was a descent decline, but not a monumental plunge. So lets see if the album can grab some momentum with another single release. Total copies sold for week three is 9,934 copies. It is a good record, so it would be cool to see it get the success it deserves.

dutchkiss71

Post by dutchkiss71 »

Starchild41 wrote:Final position is 38 for week 3. Not too bad. Better than expected. So that was a descent decline, but not a monumental plunge. So lets see if the album can grab some momentum with another single release. Total copies sold for week three is 9,934 copies. It is a good record, so it would be cool to see it get the success it deserves.

@ starchild41. long way down is the promo single right now is it?? I don't know if it is a official release but do you hear it on airplay in the US?
over here in Holland like always......nope! and no promotion at all except for some very positive album reviews in magazines.
still, monster is doing pretty well over here. nr 46 in week 4 at the moment. that's better than sonic boom did in that week. and that album DID get some radio attention/promotion.

I am curious to see what Aerosmith's new album will do. no airplay over here from the new album just yet. even that new ballad :kotz: they just released don't get a spin. just the "old" stuff.
So, airplay and better promotion helped Aero in the past. we will see soon enough if they can do without.

Starchild41
SILVER USER
SILVER USER

Post by Starchild41 »

From what I understand, 'Long Way down' is the latest single, but it's not charting and I have yet to hear any new KISS music on the radio. Billboard also just released their stats for week three and show KISS at 41 (not 38 as reported by Daily Double). They are number 10 on the rock album charts, but have nothing tracking on the rock songs charts. Without a song charting this album won't find any traction. After three weeks out, it hasn't even accumulated enough sells to match the first week of Sonic Boom. If it doesn't slow in the next week or two it will be off the charts very soon. Albums tend to plunge once they get around the 70 or 80 position on the charts. It means audiences have forgotten about it.

Kiss777
PLATINUM USER
PLATINUM USER
United States of America

Post by Kiss777 »

The days of KISS racking up platinum and maybe even gold albums are probably over and it really doesn't have as much to do with the quality of stuff they release but more to do with where rock n roll sales and music in general is these days.
I mean very few rock albums really rack up great sales today maybe one here and there the market has always been driven for the most part by the younger generation and most of them don't even listen to rock and most don't look at music as important the way we did when we were younger.
Most would rather spend their money on other things heck they can download an album if they care for it at all,sadly.
So I'm just glad we got a real solid effort from the band sure the sales are disappointing but hey when I'm listening to my copy it's not something that's on my mind I'm just enjoying my favorite band while they are still around :freak:
[img]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g21/Don77777/sweetpic2.jpg[/img]

Partyman

Post by Partyman »

Still expecting nr 1 positions/platinum etc etc is not very realistic from my point of view.

dutchkiss71

Post by dutchkiss71 »

Partyman wrote:Still expecting nr 1 positions/platinum etc etc is not very realistic from my point of view.
It's not about expectations. the thing is, in my opinion radioairplay could help albumsales. not as much as in the let's say 80's.
and with Monster there are tracks on that record that deserves a spin on radio anyway. (long way down)

dutchkiss71

Post by dutchkiss71 »

Kiss777 wrote:The days of KISS racking up platinum and maybe even gold albums are probably over and it really doesn't have as much to do with the quality of stuff they release but more to do with where rock n roll sales and music in general is these days.
I mean very few rock albums really rack up great sales today maybe one here and there the market has always been driven for the most part by the younger generation and most of them don't even listen to rock and most don't look at music as important the way we did when we were younger.
Most would rather spend their money on other things heck they can download an album if they care for it at all,sadly.
So I'm just glad we got a real solid effort from the band sure the sales are disappointing but hey when I'm listening to my copy it's not something that's on my mind I'm just enjoying my favorite band while they are still around :freak:

amen to that :OK:

Starchild41
SILVER USER
SILVER USER

Post by Starchild41 »

Kiss777 wrote:The days of KISS racking up platinum and maybe even gold albums are probably over and it really doesn't have as much to do with the quality of stuff they release but more to do with where rock n roll sales and music in general is these days.
I believe that statement is very true for the majority of the rock industry, but there are exceptions. I don't feel that Van Halen's failure with ADKOT was due to the industry. It might have had Dave on it, but I think it was a poor record that tried to be more nostalgic than commercial. Plus the last time they were selling platinum they had Sammy Hagar, so you have a generational effect in play as well. Aerosmith - Their last album was not particularly good, but even that sold 700,000 copies. The last studio album before that sold 7 million. So the industry doesn't bleed this band when they put out good product. AC/DC had a monster hit with Black Ice that was, from all accounts, not one of their better records. Yet it sold double platinum in the states and worldwide it was enormous. What does that say for these groups? Well, they are mostly industry and critic proof. They have a following that latches on and WANTS the record, rather than just downloading it. Those groups have mostly also remained THE SAME. So fan loyalty has been rewarded by longevity in the ranks of it's band members. KISS just doesn't fit into that group. They have a built-in audience that will only buy so much product. And I don't believe anyone is downloading all that much because the demand simply isn't there. The vast majority of the public does not want it. KISS is not like it was in the 80's where it toured and profiled new product extensively in concert. A KISS concert today contains essentially the same material as it did last year, two years ago, five years ago, eight years ago. So by the band's own admission, these albums will never get ongoing promotion even by the band themselves. That's why they don't pay for outside producers anymore, because it's not economical to do so. KISS Monster is a good record. But it's poor sales are not due to people seeking out downloads. People jumped on the bandwagon with Sonic Boom after a long hiatus in the studio and people did not like what they got. It peaked at number two from the curious and then quickly died. Monster is paying the price for that now. There is no interest in a new KISS record because nobody liked the last one. No one is checking in. Too bad too. This record deserves better.